Number pieces help students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
This virtual version of our Base Ten Area Pieces is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, Chromebooks, or Windows devices.
- Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
- Change the starting set of pieces to a basic or an advanced set.
- Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
- Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
- Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
- Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
- Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
- Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
- Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
- Share your work by saving an image or url, or providing a sharing code to others. Great for creating the initial setup of an activity, then sharing it with students so they can explore it further.
- Base Ten Area Pieces Set
- Base Ten Linear Pieces
- Large Base Ten Area Pieces Set
- Large Linear Strip
- Base Ten Area Pieces, Magnetic
Get more from this app
Number Pieces & Number Pieces Basic were made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
Technical Support and Feedback
These apps were crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2021 Math Learning Center